Tuesday 15 July 2008

Garden

"We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden." (and in my case knit!).

Thank you for all of the lovely comments about our garden. As we sat outside by the front window this evening, trying to enjoy the sun & stay out of the wind I remembered this quote that my sister & I included as we wrote a eulogy for our Auntie Chic, who had recently died. This was nearly three years ago now & I doubt that she would have approved of the chaos that the wind has brought but she would have loved the flowers and the bird life that abounds in the garden. I went inside for the camera (& a glass of red wine!). The sparrows fill the garden. The seed feeder has to be filled daily, There are also three nut feeders and a fat ball feeder. The delphiniums have lasted well but I feel that even with a scaffolding of canes they will not last much longer. They have been wonderful though, despite the windy weather.
Poppies grow at will amongst the Lady's Mantle & the roses. My lovely David Austin rose 'The Pilgrim' (I think) struggles to hang on. The flowers are lovely but its plagued by blackspot.
Moss enjoys the garden, but is more impressed with 'his' field where he can chase footballs and things. The back garden faces north. It can be wild, doesn't always get too much sun but the view is grand! On Sunday I managed to sit on my big cushion, sheltered by the while & knit awhile.

5 comments:

Heather L. said...

Thanks for more pictures! You are really blessed to have such a lovely view!

Joanne said...

Oh, I did wonder how Moss co-existed with that amazing garden! Now I see he has his own space...very practical. I love your flowers...and realized that I too have flowers going on: tiger lillies, rose of sharon, thyme flowers, some blue ones I don't know the name of, yellow gomphrena (I think.) Nothing like yours though! Also, we can't feed the birds because our dogs catch them!

SueJ said...

Moss still flies through the flower garden if something catches his eye!

Heather L. said...

These are black rasberries -- different from blackberries. It's hard to describe their taste, but they are a more complicated taste than blackberries -- possibly a bit sweeter but with more perfume behind them. I'm trying to decide which I like best! (I can't really switch my allegiance from blackberries, though, can I?)

Linda said...

Fantastic! I like the bird feeder, does it keep the squirrels out?