Sunday 11 November 2007

What happens when you start knitting socks....



You just don't like anything else on your feet! This was the Saturday sock handwash -even if they do machine wash, they feel so much nicer for that extra bit of TLC! I feel real empathy when I read Celtic Memory's post! I have some socks on the needles at the moment. They are my ASK's for October, Nancy Bush's 'Whitby' socks. They are a lovely knit, here is a picture of early progress. I have other projects on the go that I can't mention here in case certain parties remeber I have a blog & spot them! There will be details on Ravelry! I have stumbled into more temptation -Socktopus is shipping copies of Cat Bohdi's 'New pathways for sock knitters' book into the UK & one of the next batch to arrive has MY name on it, so whilst placing the order it seemed silly not to order some yarn. She has a tempting array, but I went for



Cherry Tree Hill Supersock 'Fall Foilage' and Bearfoot Mountain Colors 'Winter Skies'. I think Alice is the first stockist in the Uk of Bearfoot Mountain Colours! The service is excellent & speedy with excellent communications.The Cherry Tree Hill yarn is destined to become Brigit I think, Mountain Colors may be a pair of Whitby's more me. Gigi Silva is a member of Ravelry's ASK's group & so as long as they get started this month they will be my November socks!


On the theme of Autumn foliage & winter skies, Moss & I have just got back from a lovely, chilly walk at Brimham Rocks.


We are so lucky that we are only a five minute drive away from Brimham. It is a well known National Trust owned site of amazing Gritstone outctops & moorland. The paths around the rocks can get fairly busy but step onto the edge of the moor & you can have them to yourselves. In our family this is known as the 'second best view in Yorkshire':

This was taken today, an earlier picture (June 2005) can be viewed here & is more 'composed' -today's picture was a quick snap taken with my phone camera & it was too chilly to hang around! The best? The one from our back door!

8 comments:

Heather L. said...

I was very impressed by all the socks! I must show my sister. She is the avid knitter in the family and has in fact been spending this Saturday at a special class with a top-notch knitter flown in from New York. (We actually live in the Midwest, although I was born in Vermont). She works at a store called Stitches and Scones which has just been voted the best craft store (it's mainly knitting and fiber-related crafts) in our area.
I loved the pictures from your walk -- how beautiful!!! Our Midwest just doesn't look like that.

sarah said...

Love the sock array! I should try lining all mine up some day soon. And I hope you like the Bearfoot, it's one of my favourites. I wish we lived nearer the hill :-)

Linda said...

Lovely pictures from your area. The sock looks good. Soctopus are certainly getting some lovely yarns in!

Linda said...

Lovely pictures from your area. The sock looks good. Soctopus are certainly getting some lovely yarns in!

Dipsy Doodle said...

I so agree with you - even if socks can be machine washed, they feel so much nicer and cozier when one handwashes them! I love that pic with your socks on the line, I'm totally impressed by them!
And so I am with your new sock yarn, these are some real beautiful colourways and I can't wait to see how they'll knit up!
Thank you also for sharing these awesome pics of your area and your beautiful doggie!

florencemary said...

I do love to see all your beautiful views!

Wonderful socks too - it must give you real pleasure to see them all lined up like that!

Joanne said...

I must remember more often to drop by your blog and be inspired! Thank you for the socks and the view!

blog-blethers said...

It's certainly not washday blues in your house - what a fantastic array of socks and colour!

And what a stunning area you live in!