Sunday 25 November 2007

My stash has got bigger!

The Harrogate Knitting & Stitching Show is to blame! Some lovely sock yarn, mainly from Knit n' Caboddle & Web of Wool Stalls. Favorite yarn is probably this, just Schoppel Wolle sock yarn but I love the colourway. Best of all from K n C was the 'gadget' -a work in progress 'keeper'. Keeps knitting & needles safely together. Two tubes for £7! Perhaps I should have got two packs! On the needles are (another) pair of 'Embossed Leaves' in Cherry Hill supersock. Love the yarn, love the colours, love the pattern. Nuff said!I got some hand dyed worsted from 21st Century Yarns. I bought two hanks each in two colourways. One browns, one reds. I think at least one is destined for a Mobius, as are these little orange ball of delight.
I also had my first 'go' on a spinning wheel, courtesy of the lovely ladies from the Craven Spinning Guild. The result was a little organic. They meet every third Saturday in Skipton so I may well join them, although it may be some time before I can afford a wheel. I am told I was using an 'Ashford Traveller'. One of the (many) reasons for a certain lack of financial fluidity in this household is this:Son & heir is 18 today! This photo was taken last Saturday when his Aunt & Uncle were here. We followed a growing family tradition & had a 'table' party. Yes it was a 'Pirate' Party! The Pirates ate curry! I think his celebrations last night were slightly more sophisticated, although as he is still in bed, I am not sure!
The River Rapid Socks (well it was intended to be a knitting blog, not just a buying yarn blog!) are finally finished & I am very pleased with them. Less pleased with the photo but it will have to do for now. I have alot of school based work to do before S&H arrives downstairs!
Final picture, cos I like it! Moss & Mr J discussing current sporting news!

7 comments:

Linda said...

I love the river rapid socks, and happy belated 18th to son and heir!!
The yarn I got as a pressie was an Elle yarn, not seen it before here, it is nice.

Artis-Anne said...

Great sock yarn and I too love the colour. What pattern book is that in the background that is spiral bound ? I just wish all knitting pattern books were spiral bound as it would make life easier.
The yarn for the moebius looks great too. I wear mine constantly. Good luck with the spinning , does the guild have a wheel they can hire out for you? That is what I did for a few months before I could afford one . Also there may be someone there who wants to sell one, that's how we bought one for Kath and DH. I found my first spinning attempts the other week and took them along to my talk. I love them even though they are as uneven and lumpy as anything , I felt they were an achievment . Keep at it and you will have , I think, the most relaxing hobby ever .
Belated Happy Birthday to 'Son & Heir '

sarah said...

I love the River Rapid socks too! Such a simple, elegant pattern, and in grey... shows your good taste to perfection :-)

As for spinning: you don't have to have a wheel. Start with a drop spindle! The good ones I know of (Bosworth, Kundert) aren't cheap - they're about £20-£30, less if you buy from the US, but even the standard CD spindle will work. Then, as artis-anne says, you'll have the most relaxing hobby ever.

Terri said...

Lovely goodies from harrogate there! I went last year and it was great, but sadly too much temptation for me to risk going again this year:-(
The river rapid socks look great, I love that pattern:-) Still in bed late in the day, definately sounds like a good birthday evening was had!!!!!!!!

florencemary said...

Nice buys from Harrogate, Mrs J, and happy birthday to Master J!

I will have to check out the River Rapid pattern as I haven't seen that one before. As for the spinning - good luck!

Joanne said...

Love the dog and husband newspaper reading..they must cheer on their sports teams together! Happy B-day to the son, and many congrats to you as well, as Mom.:) I like the socks very much, and second Sarah's advice. Go for a spindle while you are considering which wheel is for you.

The needle keeper things are great, especially in cardboard. I have a metal one, and have unfortunately gotten my stitches cut off it once or twice by metal edges. This cannot be recommended! Thanks for your lovely notes on my blog, too.

Dipsy Doodle said...

First of all, happy belated birthday to your son - all the very best to him!
And ohhhh, I so love your new yarns - especially the one in the first pic has got such a beautiful colourway!
The River Rapids socks are fantastic - this is one of my favourite patterns, one that I could knit over and over!